Is it really important to get your teeth cleaned? We’ll give you seven reasons why.
If you are someone who has received cosmetic dentistry such as veneers, crowns, bridges, or dental implants, then you need to be sure to maintain your dental investment. The American Dental Association recommends that you receive regular dental cleanings from a dental professional at least once every 6 months. Good oral hygiene is an important factor in achieving a healthier lifestyle, especially in adults. Brushing and flossing daily, regular dental visits, including cleanings, along with eating a balanced diet, are vital to your oral health.
7 Benefits of Professional Dental Cleanings
- Prevent Gum Disease and Tooth Decay – dental cleanings provide an opportunity to spot dental decay before it has the chance to do serious damage.
- Optimizes Personal Habits at Home – Brushing, flossing, and rinsing are crucial to the maintenance of oral health, but they are not enough. By making it a point to visit your dentist at least twice a year, you double your chance of avoiding disease.
- Stop Tooth Loss – Gum disease, which starts with bleeding gums and plaque build-up, is a major cause of tooth loss in adults. Fortunately, the chance of this happening can be greatly reduced through regular dental cleanings combined with good oral hygiene habits.
- Detection of Abnormalities – If you visit your dentist for a regular check-up, your dentist will also check your neck, jaw, and lymph nodes for any swelling, lumps, and other abnormalities.This could be life-saving.
- Nullify Bad Habits – Drinking sugary beverages, smoking, brushing your teeth too hard, or clenching your jaw from stress, all may result in oral damage. Regular dental visits can help treat the damage that has already occurred. Your dentist can also help you recognize the underlying issues, thereby helping you focus on better habits.
- Healthy Smile -With a healthy, vibrant smile, you feel more confident. Confidence opens the door to limitless personal opportunities.
- Maintain Good Overall Health – Research suggests that getting your teeth professionally cleaned may help reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke.
As you can see, the importance of regular dental visits which include professional cleanings is paramount in maintaining proper oral care. And, taking care of your oral health is an investment in your overall health. By investing in your overall health, you are ensuring a healthier, more fulfilling lifestyle. In order to assure a proper and expert consultation, it would be worth your while to contact us at (212) 753-7000 and schedule a consultation with our highly educated registered dental hygienist, Bonnie Shur, R. D. H.